The number of residents in 1885 varied between 300 to 450, and school rooms and workshops were provided where they were educated and
taught a trade. The buildings also housed the Central Offices where between seventy and eighty people were employed. In 1887 a new
dormitory was supplied by adding another storey to the Stepney Causeway building, split into four, each section containing an average of 100
beds. Then eleven small houses in Bower Street, running parallel to and behind the Causeway, came unexpectedly into the market, were bought
up, and the site cleared. A four-storey addition to the homes was built giving a library, swimming pool, uniform room and play rooms, school
rooms, Director's and secretaries' rooms, an extensive gymnasium, offices and stores for the emigration departments.
The previously too-small playground was now of adequate size and the drill yard, where the boys exercised every morning, extended. A covered
bridge linked the Bower Street and Causeway building.
The trade block catered for carpentry, brush-making, tailoring, shoe-making, baking, and engineering, with workshops for wheelwrights,
tinsmiths, printers, blacksmiths, and for mat-making and harness-making. There was, too, the famous boys' band. In the autumn of 1887 the
patients were moved out of the Infirmary temporarily while a new brick building, of three and a half storeys, arose on the site Her Majesty's
Hospital for Sick Children, and designed as the town memorial to the Queen's Jubilee. A dispensary, mortuary and kitchens were in the
basement, wards and accommodation for the matron and nurses were on other floors, and the resident physician had his quarters on the fourth
floor where there was also a boys' playroom, and a large asphalted open air space for convalescents. An underground tunnel linked the boys'
home with the Hospital, and in due course there was also a bridge In 1895 the number of trades taught rose to twelve and the Bower Street
gymnasium was sacrificed to provide more workshops.
Some of the shops, notably the tailor's, were manned almost exclusively by boys who were crippled, maimed, or handicapped. During 1898
number 12 Stepney Causeway was purchased, and in 1899 numbers 14 and 16 which housed the Marie Hilton Creche.
Barnardo kept the Creche, and until 1939 the organization continued to look after the East End's babies whilst their mothers worked.
In 1903 Barnardo's spread to beyond the railway line and bought number 30 Stepney Causeway for use as an isolation house for children
suffering from ringworm, measles, suspected infectious diseases and eye troubles.
Even in 1912 the then Senior Medical Officer maintained that Stepney was "marvellously healthy" the continuous current of air along the
Thames, the gravel soil, and the good health of the boys being his chief argumentsó even though the premises were cramped and overcrowded.
However, the Council searched for country premises not too far from Stepney and bought in 1921 an estate known as "Goldings" in Hertford.
This was renamed the William Baker Technical School and in 1922 some three hundred of the Stepney boys moved to their new surroundings.
Only eighty-two crippled boys remained but by the following year they, too, had gone to pleasanter surroundings.
The Hospital was no longer needed as such and so became an office block, being renamed Barnardo House. New admissions were still being
accepted in numbers 6-18 but these houses needed rebuilding. A rebuilding fund was opened and in 1933 modern premises were opened. Two
relics of the old homes were preserved a fireplace which was presented to the London Museum, and the doorway to number 10 (the original
"Ever-Open-Door") which was for long the entrance to the Barnardo Museum and is now on permanent loan to the London Borough of Tower
Hamlets, together with Dr. Barnardo's desk, chair, and the personal items he kept on his desk.
With the coming of war in 1939 the Receiving Houses, the "Ever-Open-Door" and the Creche closed for the duration, it was said, but in fact
they never reopened. In 1940 number 4 was opened as a working lads' hostel and remained as such until 1966.
Dr. Barnardo's work, though originally for boys, extended, on his marriage, to girls. To begin with he and his wife housed girls in the back of
their home at Mossford Lodge, Barkingside, but later The Village was built in its day a pioneer scheme of small houses or cottages, each with
housemothers, built in landscaped surroundings with its own hospital, school, church, and shop. Girls were here brought up in loving, Christian
homes, educated and trained in domestic arts, laundry work, and sewing. Later the all girls' rule was relaxed to prevent the separation of brothers
and sisters. The children in The Village did not wear uniform. Barnardo also arranged for children to be boarded out, under the supervision of
trained visitors and local supporters, in private families.
His work for sick, crippled, blind, deaf and dumb, and otherwise afflicted children was famous. He founded his own children's hospital and a
number of special branches for their care. One of the proudest days of his life was when the Chief Surgeon of the London Hospital visited 170
of these children and said: "I never saw such a sight as this. Everything has been done for them that surgery can do."
It was a major problem to find work for many boys and girls leaving Barnardo's each year. There was acute unemployment in Britain. It was
this that caused Dr. Barnardo to introduce an emigration scheme whereby boys and girls went to> Canada, where they were placed in homes
and employment, and given a far better chance than they would have had in their homeland. This scheme continued until the early 1920s.
Emigration to Australia was then arranged in a similar way.
When Dr. Barnardo died in 1905, worn out by his work for children in need, he had helped 60,000 of them and raised some £3 million in
Today nearly two hundred and twenty-five thousand children have been helped. There are about one hundred homes and special schools in
Britain, together with a Family Care Service for those children remaining with their own parents (often in single-parent families), foster-care
and, in England, an adoption society. In Kenya there is a large home and training centre in Nairobi. In Australia there are eleven homes and a
Farm Training School. In New Zealand plans are in hand for a centre near Auckland.