THE CARPENTERS SHOP, 1951
This year a great improvement is taking place in the Carpentry and Cabinet-makers department of Goldings. The partition which
divided the carpenters' office and the theory class room has been taken down to make one room. This room is now being used to house
machine tools. Our lathe has already been installed and an electric grindstone. An electric circular saw and drill are also going to be
All the old tool racks have been taken, away and replaced by tool boxes which each boy now has to take care of. Some of the senior
boys have a new set of tools which they will take away with them when they go out to work. There are about ^n worth of tools in each
A store has been built at the far end of the shop; this is used for the storing of tool boxes, special tools, nails, screws etc. This store was
made by the boys and the interior fittings such as shelves, etc. were done by Mr. Farnham.
The carpenters' department has been divided into two sections, one under Mr. Howell and the other under "Mr. Broster. Mr. Tempest is
head of both departments and Mr. Farnham teaches the cabinet-makers. A small door has been inset into one of the big double doors;
this is now the main entrance.
Exterior decorating has been done by Messrs. Brooks and Ibbotson, the school painters. Ml this is being done to improve our work
which is the main reason for our being here. Each individual boy must aim to, reach the high standards which have been set by the
boys in the past. We must live up to the school motto, "The End Crowns The Work".
Goldonian Summer 1951