As work is presently being done on re-decking the Horseshoe Falls bridge on the A602 I thought it would, be
of interest to relate the history of diverting the old Turnpike Road away from Goldings in 1868.
The route of the original Turnpike Road went along part of Goldings Lane and then followed the track at the
bottom of the R.C.U. car park (sorry Eastern Division) passing the old Goldings Mansion now no longer there,
and across the meadow adjacent to the Goldings Canal, until it joined up with North Road just north of the
present junction with Bramfield Road. This meant that there were no bridges on the old Turnpike Road through
Early in 1867, Robert Smith, owner of Goldings Mansion, had plans drawn
up by H C Driver of Whitehall, London, to divert the old Turnpike Road,
at his own expense, further eastwards away from Goldings Mansion. this
diversion involved the construction of a new road 4.797 feet long
(0.909 miles) with a width of 33 feet, together with 3 bridge structures
and 3 culverts. A cutting had also to be made through Molewood to
accommodate the road. The Horseshoe Falls Bridge was a two span bridge
crossing both the River Beane and the Mill Race stream.
Concurrently with the construction of the new road, the present Goldings
Estate access road was built with a further 3 bridges and 1 flood relief
The Stevenage and Watton. Turnpike Trustees held meetings in August
and October 1867 at the Salisbury Arms, Hertford to discuss the proposed
new road being financed by Robert Smith and on 6 November 1867 at 12
noon at the Saracens Head, Ware the Sheriff of Hertford chaired a meeting
to award compensation to the affected landowners near Goldings. A jury
of twelve 'indifferent' men were appointed to give verdict on the awards.
The successful contractor for the project was James Clarke of Thornton
Heath, Surrey, whose tender price of £6,759 for nearly one mile of road
plus 6 structures was accepted on 12 May l868.